What is software testing?
Software testing, in simple words, can be defined as the way to check whether the final software product matches the anticipated requirements of the software. It is also used to check if the actual software product contains any bug or defect. Software testing involves the execution of system components using either manual or automated tools to assess one or more properties of interest. Software testing identifies the errors, gaps, or lacking requirements compared to the actual requirements of your project.
Why do I need a software testing tool?
Software testing tool is essential to detect any errors or bugs in your software so that they can be resolved early on before the delivery of your software product to avoid any grievance from the client. Testing software properly ensures dependability, security, and high productivity that further leads to customer satisfaction, time-saving, and cost-effectiveness.
Software testing tools help detect bugs that could potentially be expensive or even dangerous. These bugs can cause monetary and/or human loss if left unchecked.
How to choose the right software testing tool for your project?
There are two crucial steps in determining the right testing tool for your project –
Step 1: Recognize your project requirements thoroughly – It is of utmost importance to thoroughly understand the requirements of your particular project to be able to select the right testing tool. This includes understanding your project type (desktop/web/mobile), the scope of your project, and your current team’s strength in code language before you start the process.
Step 2: Analyze the benchmark appropriate for your project – There are several key aspects to consider before deciding on the best-fit testing tool for your project. Some of them are mentioned below –
- The simplicity of developing and maintaining your test scripts
- Ease of test execution for a non-technical user
- Support to the web, desktop, and mobile application
- Technical support and assistance
- Cross-browser testing
Three things you should know before choosing a software testing tool
The three key aspects to consider before choosing the right testing tool for your project are as follows –
- Versatility – Choose a versatile tool that supports all kinds of testing be it functional testing, unit testing, or load testing. Ensure that your chosen software provides broad testing support to suit your future requirements that might change.
- Platform compatibility – Usually, a testing tool supports all kinds of or most kinds of platforms used in your company. Most tools might end up handling only .NET or Java applications, so make sure as you research for your options that your testing tool is compatible with all necessary platforms.
- Ease of maintenance – Last but not least, it should be extremely easy to maintain your software testing tool. The right tool eases the process of maintenance by generating modular test cases. In this way, these can be easily altered and reused simplifying the whole process of managing the testing tool.
The four most important features of any good software testing tool
Four of the most important features of any good, automated testing tool are –
- Flexible and easy to use – Any complex test management solution is going to result in training overhead. The system should be easy to use, accessible, and logical. When it is easier for individual testers to access the system, it will help with faster adoption and there will likely be fewer mistakes involved in doing so.
- Transparency and traceability – It’s an obvious assumption that testers value the ability of a testing tool to trace every aspect of their work. This gives strong accountability and a wealth of data that can be used to ease the process of testing and to plan future projects. An effective testing tool will trace the complete lifecycle of a defect or a requirement.
- Assigning and tracking – It is important to have clarity extended to task assignment and tracking. The ability to assign specific tasks to specific requirements or defects is very vital, but it should also be possible to track the actions that are performed and by whom.
- The crowning glory of test management – It is essential to choose a flexible software testing solution as no two projects are the same. You can easily take on any test challenge hands-on if you are well armed with a testing solution that can combine flexibility with traceability, usability, and transparency.
A list of five top-rated and affordable tools for different needs
- TestRail – TestRail is a software testing solution that lets you efficiently manage manual and automated test cases, plans, and runs. It offers real-time insights into testing progress with the help of its descriptive dashboards, metrics, and activity records.
- Xray – Xray is a #1 Manual and Automated test management platform for QA. This particular testing tool helps companies improve the quality of their product through effective and fast testing.
- Practitest – Practitest is a common meeting ground for QA shareholders, it allows complete visibility into the testing process for the user and wider comprehension of the testing outcomes.
- Zephyr Scale – Zephyr Scale is a testing tool that enables you to reuse your tests and eliminate duplication. It helps you improve visibility, data analysis, and collaboration.
The post How to choose the right software testing tool? appeared first on InsightsSuccess.