Let’s get real: In the web design world, complaints come with the territory. If you’re selling a product or service based on creative design and interpretation, you’ll eventually encounter an unhappy client. And keeping clients happy is key to providing exceptional customer service.
Most complaints fit into one of these categories:
- The client is uninformed, misinformed, or unaware. Opportunity: educate and resolve.
- You did not deliver as promised. Opportunity: make it right.
- The client has unreasonable expectations. Opportunity: address the issue and (hopefully) escape with the relationship intact.
My recommended process in all cases:
- Receive feedback with grace
- Respond with finesse
- Collaborate thoughtfully on resolution
Receive feedback with grace
Give ‘em the benefit of the doubt
Sometimes they’re wrong. I’d still rather assume they’re misinformed or inexperienced — as opposed to intentionally being difficult. If I can offer an easy exit from a faux pas, wonderful. If I … Read more